The perfect full day excursion for those who wish to wander and explore the Royal Belum state park in a single day.
The Royal Belum is the upper part of the Belum-Temenggor rainforest complex which can be reached by boat from Pulau Banding, the starting point of your trip. The upper Belum is a more of a wild area than the lower part of Temenggor, since access and human activities are more regulated there.
Included in this experience are: cruising the Temenggor lake by boat, trek into its rain forest, learn about the endemic wildlife, visit an aboriginal village and bathe in waterfalls. Packed lunches are included in your tour as well.
You will start at Pulau Banding jetty, the islet in the middle of Belum Temenggor. It is the main point of entrance to the Royal Belum state park.
Highlights of Royal Belum state park
You’ll learn more about the wildlife of Royal Belum while trekking along the elephants trail. Although there are plenty in the wild, it’s very uncommon to spot wild elephants since this species is shy of human groups. In the rare eventuality that you and your group encounter elephants, please be quiet and strictly follow the nature guide instructions to get back to your motor boat safety.
First stop for the trekking until Kooi Waterfall. Then, you’ll proceed to a salt lick area at Sungai Papan. The type of soil of such areas hold natural mineral deposits and play an important role in the diet of many animal species, especially Asian elephants (Elephas maximus).
After the visit to the salt lick you will proceed to an orang asli village. The settlement is only accessible by water.
The natives that live there do not get as many visits as the clans that live in the southern part of the forest complex in lower Temenggor. In return of their hospitality, if it’s your wish, you can leave gifts or presents to the village. It can be household items or clothing. While at the village, you can interact with the locals and learn more about their community. They do not speak English.
The last place of your excursion will be at Air Terjun waterfall (located along Sungai Ruok). You will reach the area by boat first and then do a short trek later. Once arrived at the waterfall, you can swim there and take your packed meal before returning to Pulau Banding, where your trip will finally end.
Here you will meet with your local nature guide. He is a friendly, skilled and licensed professional that will lead you and your group throughout your trekking tour of Belum. The guide will speak English and Malay language. If you are in need of an interpreter you may contact us and we will try our best to accommodate your requests and needs.
From Pulau Banding, you will enter Royal Belum state park by boat. Then you will reach a deeper part of the rainforest by trekking. Enter the rain forest by land and do a short trekking in search of the Rafflesia flower along trail. This endemic flower of Malaysia’s rainforest, is one of the largest. And, it can be seen in Belum and few other places only.
The motor boats used in this trip have their top covered, so you won’t get wet in case of rain and you won’t get sunburn during sunny days. Boats adhere to authorities regulations and life jackets are provided on board, of course. The boats can accommodate a maximum of 10 people per boat. Therefore, if your group is a particularly large one, you may have to split in two or more crafts.
To get into Royal Belum you will need valid entry permits. We can take care of the permits and their costs are included in the price of this day trip but it’s necessary that you submit your passport or IC details (if Malaysian citizen) at least two (2) weeks in advance. Failure in doing so may risk having your booking forfeited as per our policies. Once arrived in Belum, rest assured that there will be no formalities or bureaucracy. Your motorboat will only stop at a checkpoint at the beginning of the journey. It takes only few minutes to clear the entrance. It is only on occasions that authorities perform checks on incoming tourists. But, it’s a very rare eventuality and won’t cause any inconvenience to your staying in the forest.
Journey starts in Pulau Banding PUBLIC JETTY (Jeti Awam Pulau Banding), please be punctual.
|09:30||Meet your personal nature guide at Pulau Banding public jetty and start the cruise on Temenggor lake, directing yourselves to Royal Belum conservation area.|
|10:30||Enter the rain forest with the trekking along Kooi waterfall trail.|
|11:30||Follow by the elephants' trail at Sungai Papan salt lick area.|
|12:30||Stop at Kampung and visit a native village of Orang Asli. Be part also on our plastic free educational program during our visit at the orang asli villages.|
|14:00||Continue your trekking from Sungai Ruok to Air Terjun waterfall. You can bathe at the waterfalls and relax by the area surrounded by tall trees and quiet vegetation.|
|15:00 / 16:00||Estimated time to be back at the jetty in Pulau Banding.|
- This is to inform you that due to preserving and restoring nature, Royal Belum state park management have decided to close the Rafflesia area of Sg. Gadong. We will replace it with the trekking to Sg. Kooi waterfall.
- We will currently suspend the visit to the Orang Asli village in order to protect this vulnerable ethnic from external disease.
Note & recommendation:
- it is not guaranteed to spot the blooming Rafflesia due his short life cycle. Therefore it is subject of availability and your luck.
- if major instances should occur the place visited could be replaced.
- all excursion mentioned above are based on S.I.C (Sharing Basis) and minimum two person.
- to have with you suitable shoes and outfit for outdoors; mosquito/insect repellent, salt or a lighter for leeches (although they’re easy to remove with just your hands); bring a raincoat (a disposable one will do), a hat and, in case you plan to bathe in the waterfall, swimwear.
- to bring with you only a small bag with the strictly necessary items for the excursion. If you have a large baggage please consider to leave it in a luggage storeroom in the hotel/resort where you stay (most will be kind enough to keep your luggage even after you have checked out).
- if you wish, may bring something to donate to Orang Asli Village (useful gift is really appreciate, kindly avoid candy and sweets for the children).
- to book this tour at least two (2) weeks in advance since is required a entry permit and camera from the state park management.