Experience the thrill of chasing giant snakehead fishes in one of the most beautiful settings Malaysia has to offer to anglers worldwide!
The Royal Belum state park is a very attractive fishing destination for beginners and die hard anglers to pit their skills. Upper Belum is known for its very rich population of several aquatic species and the very limited human activities in the area of the state park can deliver great possibilities of huge catches! The largest fish for which the entire area is most famous for is the giant snakehead, locally known as “toman”. The largest specimen can weigh up to 20 kilograms, truly a “fishzilla”.
Treat yourself with a very private and exclusive fishing trip in Belum and explore the beauty of one of the World’s oldest rainforests growing on top of an amazing lake!
The area of Belum Temenggor is a well known angler fishing destination by both locals and foreigners, who even travel great distances to experience the thrill of chasing giant snakehead fishes. However, although Belum Temenggor is a single and contiguous eco-system, the administration of the two areas are different; the northern territory, which is mostly under Royal Belum state park administration, has less overall human activity, is subject to more regulations and has significantly less tourism. Therefore, also the fishing experience is different; as a result, the population of aquatic species is much denser in this area with higher possibilities of catching large fishes during daytime. Hence why we recommend this area over southern Temenggor, if you want to treat yourself with great, rewarding fishing adventure.
In the course of this fishing trip you will have the unique opportunity to cruise by and large the streams of water that enclose the magnificent tropical rainforest of Belum, one of the World’s oldest. You will be accompanied throughout the duration of the trip by friendly local boat crew, who are themselves seasoned anglers, passionate about fishing and very knowledgeable of the area. They will gladly share with you fishing tips and techniques – the chances of catching toman fishes, however is enhanced by a mixture of experience but also dexterity, as you need some quick thinking to launch your hook in the area where you spotted the toman to get its attention fast.
Since you’re in Belum Temenggor, it is certainly a good opportunity not to miss wandering a bit in the beauty of its rainforest. When you’ll be halfway through your day, you boat will dock nearby a trail a you will go for a short hike that will lead you to some waterfalls. Here you can have a swim and then enjoy your packed meals. After lunch time you will leave the woods and resume your fishing activity. The afternoon fishing session will end before the sun goes down (it may be risky to be on water during at night, there’s as there’s no public illumination whatsoever for miles) and you will head back to Pulau Banding by 18.00 (6 pm).
This is a very private experience catered for you and your group. We don’t recommend this experience for groups larger than 16 people – if your group is larger, we’d recommend to book a houseboat instead or contact us. We will automatically assign one boat to each four (4) people in your booking. For safety reasons (and comfort of course), we won’t allow more than 4 people per boat. The cost of the boats (in the ratio of 1 boat each 4 people) is already included in the total price. However, you can book extra boats if you want to allow more space, at an additional cost. Extra boats are subject to availability – if there are not enough extra additional boats, we will try to notify you as soon as possible and refund you of the cost of this option in any case.
Since this is a fishing trip, logically the boat(s) will leave early – please be on time at the jetty of Pulau Banding not later than 6.00 am. The boats used for our fishing trips are stable fiberglass fishing boats powered by 40hp outboard engine. They make for a good, spacious and comfortable fishing platforms with plenty of space for tackle, bait and launch. As fishing boats are unsheltered, it may get particularly wet during rain time (not a rare occurrence, since the best fishing season is during wet months) and particularly hot in sunny days. You should bring along a raincoat, hat and sun protection to avoid sunburn. The boat crew will direct the boat under the shadow of surrounding rainforest when the sun is too hot (when the sun is highest there is scheduled a hike in the woods anyways).
Fishing expedition leaves early in the morning from Pulau Banding public jetty. You'll gather there with your boat team; they're also seasoned anglers themselves and, while on the way, will give you a first briefing on Toman fishing and discuss with you itinerary and activities.
|06:00||Meet your guide and boat staff at the public jetty in Pulau Banding. Please be on time, toman won't wait for you!|
|06:15||Boat leaves - this is a good time where you can discuss with the boat leader on a variety of topics for toman fishing and the day scheduled activities and boat itinerary.|
|07:00||Fishing activities will start around this time, once you have entered Royal Belum territory and passing the checkpoint.|
|12:30||Lunch break. You boat will dock along the shores of the rainforest and you will do a short trek along Sungai Ruok river. You will reach a picturesque waterfall, where you can also have a swim, then enjoy your packed lunch. Fishing activities will resume afterwards once you get back to boat.|
|15:00||Second fishing session of the afternoon will start.|
|18:00||Before the sun sets completely you will get back to Pulau Banding, the fishing trip is over.|
- fishing equipment is not included in the costs nor provided onboard; you must bring your own fishing rod and fishing equipment; you can buy equipment in Gerik, the nearest town to Belum Temenggor (the area is known for fishing activities so you’ll have choices there). You can read more on the fishing equipment advised for toman catch here.
- you need to book this trip at least two weeks (14 days) in advance because entry permits are necessary to access Royal Belum state park. We will take care of the bureaucratic proceedings and the cost of the permits is already included in the price, but please allow a few days to finalize them (we will also need your full details, ID no. if Malaysian citizen or passport no. if foreigner – this is required by state authorities).
- you will need to follow Royal Belum state park rules, of course – among those regulating fishing activities, the most important one is a general “catch and release” policy practiced in the park area.
- to have with you suitable shoes and outfit (there will be a short trek in the rainforest in the course of the activities); bring mosquito repellent, salt or a lighter to remove any leeches (although you can also remove them with your fingers), a raincoat (a disposable one will do) and also a hat since the boats are not sheltered; if you plan to swim in the waterfall, get some swimwear with you.
- to bring with you only a small bag (ideally waterproof or dry-bag) with the strictly necessary. If you have extra luggage, please leave it at your hotel room or hotel reception if you’ve already checked out.